Neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's disease are increasingly more common in an aging population. In order to get an understanding of underlying biochemical processes, as well as efficient development and (pre-clinical) screening of new drugs, in vitro tissue models in platforms called Brain-on-Chip are used. In order to improve the throughput of experiments and resulting data statistics, (micro)wellplates have become the de facto standard laboratory multi-sample layout in which this type of research and diagnostic testing is performed.
On an academic level, the use of electrophysiology in Organ-on-Chip platforms is investigated to provide increased insights into (the behavior of) the tissue models. For example, the structural integrity of tissue models is investigated using an electrical resistance measurement over epithelial tissue – a type of tissue covering inner and outer surfaces of organs in the body – with a technique called Transepithelial Electrical Resistance (TEER).
For the realization of this vision of smart well plates, the current project focuses on the development and integration of large-area microfluidic technology within the established Holst Centre technology platforms. The student project deals with the integration and electrical characterization of (active) electrode arrays for impedance sensing in aqueous biochemical environments.
As a team member your tasks will be:
- Knowledge acquisition through literature survey, discussion with other team members, and internal seminars
- Performing realization and/or electrical characterization in cleanroom(s) and electrical laboratories
- Analysis and presentation of experimental data
- Documentation of results in a technical report
- Presentation of results in internal seminars
- Master student with a relevant background ranging from physics, chemistry, nanotechnology, biomedical engineering, electrical engineering, materials science, etc. with both theoretical and experimental skills.
- Experience in microfluidics or 3D printing is a pre
- You have good communication skills in English
- Proactive , independent but also a team player
- Experience working in electronics is desired
For all inquiries, please contact email@example.com