Who translates technology potential towards scientific excellence in advanced bio-medical and robotic sensors
Imec at Holst Centre has established a world-leading track record on the design of novel sensors for human health, environmental monitoring, people activity monitoring, accurate localization, lifestyle monitoring, and many other fields. The access to world class and upcoming process technologies in our head quarter teams, in Leuven, Belgium, brings unique opportunities for end-to-end innovations. In this new role, we want to further raise the ambition of the system and design expertise in our Eindhoven site leveraging the most advanced technology research platforms in the Leuven research teams. The specific focus is on pushing the envelope in the design of new sensor systems in the areas of bio-medical and robotic senses for the programs in Eindhoven, as part of the Holst Centre, and in agri-food topics in the OnePlanet Research Center in Wageningen/Nijmegen and the integration of newest process technologies into the advanced designs.
In our offices in Eindhoven, we have established a leading position on wearable sensors for health applications, and on ultra-low power IoT devices in general. The imec Belgium teams have a world leading track record in pioneering new process technologies in collaboration with industrial foundries and with the broader semiconductor ecosystem.
To realize a next step in our growth in Eindhoven, we want to expand beyond CMOS and leverage the emerging process technologies (f.i. photonics, ultrasound, photo-acoustic, etc) for new sensors in the area of health, co-botics, microlocation and bio(-medical) process sensors. Hence we start the recruitment for a Scientific Director Technology Integration.
You will work from the Holst Centre/imec the Netherlands in Eindhoven, yet in close collaboration with the research groups of imec Belgium and the OnePlanet Research Center in Wageningen and Nijmegen.
- Based on your deep understanding of new process technologies and their roadmaps, like f.i. photonics, ultrasound, microfluidics, ... and in discussion with the program directors and other scientific directors on the system and application side, you bridge the technology roadmaps with the system and application roadmaps towards an integrated view.
- Together with the research teams, you define the requirements for a range of different sensing modalities in areas such as health, bio-medical, robotics, micro localization,...
- Conceptualize innovative methods and break-down research tracks into de-risk steps.
- Work with the top researchers in the teams and inspire them towards personal excellence and creativity and lead them to international excellence and recognition in their fields.
- Drive technical discussions with industrial partners to feed the research roadmaps, and support Business Development in customer acquisition or large account management.
- Develop and manage international programs and cooperation's in Academia.
- Pursue novel applications of technologies to address challenging real-world problems, including establishing new areas of research.
- Continuously radiate imec's proficiency at conferences, seminars and other events, and participate in the adequate scientific eco-systems.
- Write and contribute to proposals, project status reports, technical white papers.
- In this position you report to the General Manager of Imec-NL Eindhoven.
- Senior Principal Researcher, Fellow, or Professor, with entrepreneurial skills.
- PhD degree in Physics, Materials Science, Electronic Engineering or adjacent domains.
- Deep knowledge on various physical sensor mechanisms i.e. optics, ultrasound, photo-acoustics, microfluidics.
- Well established research track record with international recognized scientific achievements and international network in scientific communities.
- Proven track record in developing new system and sensor concepts in close understanding of relevant applications.
- Ability and ambition to define and steer a research challenge towards international recognition.
- An inspirational team player with a positive can-do mentality who can transform scientific opportunities into tangible results.
- Independent thinker with an entrepreneurial drive who enjoys working in multi-disciplinary and cross-cultural teams.
- Pro-active attitude in initiating significant collaborations across imec and externally.
- Affinity with mechatronics, bionics or medical robots is a bonus.
- People management experience is a bonus, but being a team player is a must.
- Open for regular travel in the Netherlands and to Leuven, Belgium and occasional international travels.
- An excellent command of the English language as this is an international environment.
What we offer you
We offer a challenging and international environment amongst top-notch researchers at the forefront of technology, in an international network of renowned industrial customers. This is your opportunity to bring new technologies to the market that will have an impact on tomorrow's society.
Imec The Netherlands offers you an attractive compensation and benefits package including a 100% employer paid pension plan and flexible working hours. For international candidates we provide support in the relocation process. We continuously invest in our people through training, but also conferences, simars and other scientific platforms are part of our investments.
Are you interested in this position and do you want to learn more about it, then you can talk to Frank Wolfs, Talent Acquisition Lead imec-NL. You can reach Frank via +31(0)6-50837563. Please send us a motivational letter as well as an up-to-date resume if you wish to apply via our website.
Click on 'apply' to submit your application. You will then be redirected to e-recruiting.