Create novel liquid and air sensors for the advancement of life science solutions
Imec Netherlands has established a world-leading track record on the design of novel sensors for human health applications and ultra-low-power IoT devices in general. For instance, our teams continue to develop innovations in lifestyle- and environmental monitoring, accurate localization, and many other fields. At our HQ in Leuven, Belgium we are world-renowned for pioneering new process technologies in collaboration with industrial foundries and with the broader semiconductor ecosystem. Imec's research tracks enable unique opportunities for end-to-end innovations.
As a Sensor Researcher Liquid and Air Sensing, your focus will be on the research, development, characterization, and deployment of new physical sensor technologies that are disruptive, either in size, power consumption, or selectivity. These sensor technologies are among the key enablers to innovations in the life science and health domains, for instance in tissue and breath sensing and implantable therapeutics. By collaborating with other internal groups, you are able to realize embedded prototypes. Early deployments for several use cases will test the sensors against real-life requirements at an early stage and as such speed up the sensor development time. In this position in the Sensor Research group, you build a bridge to the Health Solutions and Health Research groups in Eindhoven and with core technology groups at our HQ in Leuven.
What you will do
We need you as a Sensor Researcher to be part of our multidisciplinary team to:
- Identify the appropriate technologies selection that leads to new Liquid and Air sensing applications.
- Perform research on new sensor concepts, from literature study to early Proof-of-Concept towards hands-on prototyping.
- Design of experiments (DOE) and characterization of sensor prototypes (Proof of Functionality and Proof of concept).
- Report the scientific results internally, externally and towards customers and imec's partners in funded projects.
- Closely collaborate with (clinical) external partners for the validation of prototypes outside of the lab environment.
- Build and maintain a comprehensive understanding of technologies and products in the area of sensor applications, benchmarking of new sensor development.
- Provide input for new research topics and contribute to imec's roadmap.
What we do for you
We offer a challenging and international environment at the forefront of technology, in an international network of renowned industrial customers. This is your opportunity to bring new technologies to the market that will have an impact on tomorrow's society. Imec The Netherlands, as an employer of choice, offers you an attractive compensation and benefits package including a 100% employer-paid pension plan and flexible working hours. Furthermore, imec-NL offers a wide range of training possibilities.
By joining the Liquid & Air Sensing team in Eindhoven, you will be part of a team of disruptive innovators and thinkers. Together, with our Researchers and Engineers, you will work on systems that combine local data with info from the cloud and other sensor networks to create a holistic picture of the world and enable an Intuitive IoT. We drive the Internet of Things by developing innovative solutions for massive, heterogeneous sensor networks to connect billions of devices. Imec is a reference in the design of ultra-low-power electronics, low-power algorithms to increase intelligence and data security, and in all aspects of data science.
Who you are
- Ph.D. degree in (Applied) Physics, Material Science or equivalent.
- 0-3 years of experience after your Ph.D. in a relevant field.
- Basic knowledge of various physical sensor mechanisms (optics, ultrasound, photo-acoustics, microfluidics, and thin-film processing).
- Knowledge of optical techniques, for instance, spectroscopy, Raman, Laser microscopy, OCT is a big plus.
- Experience with working in a lab environment.
- Experience with solid-state devices (e.g., PICs) is a plus.
- Knowledge of statistical tools and methods for analyzing results, for instance, MATLAB, Python.
- Curious mindset, you like to dive deep into your work and find creative solutions to challenges.
- Flexible team player motivated to collaborate in a multidisciplinary team.
- Proven can-do attitude, which means taking the initiative, pro-actively thinking, a flexible attitude, and problem-solving on a daily basis.
- Able to deal with ambiguity, you see change as an opportunity to learn and grow.
- Communication skills in English (written and spoken) are excellent.
Are you interested in this position and do you want to learn more about it, then you can talk to Perine Doreleijers, Talent Acquisition Specialist. You can reach Perine via +31(0)6-48861256.
If you wish to apply, then please submit your full resume and a motivational letter.