Pragmatic engineer integrating new sensing technologies into devices
About the job
Imec at Holst Centre has established a world-leading track record on the design of novel sensors for human health applications and ultra-low power IoT devices in general. For instance, our teams continue to develop innovations in human health, people activity-, lifestyle- and environmental monitoring, accurate localization, and many other fields. At our HQ in Leuven, Belgium we are world renowned for pioneering new process technologies in collaboration with industrial foundries and with the broader semiconductor ecosystem. Imec's research tracks enable unique opportunities for end-to-end innovations.
In this role, you will work on further integration of on one hand the system and design expertise from our Eindhoven site and on the other hand the most advanced technology platforms from the Leuven groups. You will leverage emerging process technologies like photonics, ultrasound, micro-fluidics and photo-acoustics to create ground-breaking new innovations and designs in the field of life science and bio(-medical) process sensors for the Liquid and Air Sensing program at imec Eindhoven, as part of the Holst Centre.
You will work from Holst Centre/imec the Netherlands in Eindhoven, yet in close collaboration with the research groups located in imec Belgium.
What you will do
We are looking for an experienced Researcher Sensor Systems to expand our research team at imec Eindhoven (NL) as part of the Holst Centre. You will be responsible for designing cutting edge solutions for our devices with integrated sensing functionality. You will also interact with customers and suppliers to align on planning, progress, and transfer of results.
Your tasks will include:
- You define the requirements for a range of different sensing modalities around health, bio-medical, and bioprocessing.
- You realize designs and proof of concepts by integrating various sensing technologies into devices aimed at bioprocess and in body medical applications.
- Lead and perform the hardware testing and characterization of prototypes.
- Documentation of the design, development and testing activities potentially in accordance to industry regulations.
- Cooperate within multi-disciplinary project teams and with external development partners consisting of electrical, software and biomedical engineers to define the specifications, design, implement, verify and validate hardware systems.
- Develop a way of working for the team and create internal procedures.
Who you are
- Senior principal researcher with >5 yrs experience in an R&D group in a life-science/bio-chemical environment.
- Ph.D. degree in bio-medical/life science engineering, (applied) physics, or adjacent domains.
- Good knowledge on various physical sensor mechanisms i.e., optics, ultrasound, photo-acoustics (and the technology fields microfluidics and thin film processing).
- Well established research track record with recognized scientific achievements and a network in scientific communities.
- Track record in developing new system and sensor concepts in close understanding of the application.
- Pro-active attitude in initiating significant collaborations across imec and externally.
- Being a team player is a must.
- Fluency in English is required as this is an international environment.
- Experience with supplier and customer interaction is a plus.
- You see changes as an opportunity to learn and grow.
What we do for you
We offer a challenging and international environment at the forefront of technology, in an international network of renowned industrial customers. This is your opportunity to bring new technologies to the market that will have an impact on tomorrow's society.
Imec-NL, as an employer of choice, offers you an attractive compensation and benefits package including a 100% employer paid pension plan and flexible working hours. Furthermore, imec-NL offers a wide range of training possibilities.
If you wish to apply, then please submit your full resume and a cover letter.
Click on 'apply' to submit your application. You will then be redirected to e-recruiting.