Who will take the lead in setting up our new lab infrastructure to validate our photonics research
At imec we have a strong experience and background in IC / FPGA design for future IoT, neuromorphic, health and biomedical applications. Our team is specialized in developing ICs for low power radio communication, highly efficient neural networks for wearable design to reliably monitor vital signs such as ECG, Bio-impedance and PPG, making use of our advanced sensor readouts.
Imec has a unique position in the world. As a research institute we are able to offer leading-edge IC design research with a high affinity to the application domains and we also understand the key role that Photonics plays in many scientific and industrial fields. That is the reason why within our organization in The Netherlands we will set up new research tracks that exploit Photonics together with competences such as CMOS design and Neuromorphic design in Health, Connectivity and Industrial applications (eg: LIDAR, biosensors, optical resonators). Together with external partners and internal photonics groups in imec worldwide, we aim to extend our research and capabilities in the Silicon and Indium Phosphide photonics area.
What you will do
As a Photonics Validation Engineer, you will be part of our interdisciplinary team. In this position, you will have a key and visible role in this initiative. Your main tasks will involve:
- Play a lead role in acquisition, setup and management of lab infrastructure for testing and evaluation of photonics components and systems.
- Realization of setups in the lab for testing heterogenous opto-electronic system demonstrators using in-house or off-the-shelf components.
- Support the process of acquiring off-the-shelf photonic components as well as packaging of in-house developments.
- Take the ownership of planning, scheduling and execution of measurement campaigns as well as data analysis to interpret the results.
- Take lead in automation of lab measurement campaigns.
- Demonstration and validation of photonic IC's developed in imec and at partner institutions.
- Share insights and experiences with the team and contribute to the development and maturity of designs.
- Communicate with internal and external partners to find synergies; interface with suppliers.
- Prepare technical notes, and documentation for internal and external customers. Optionally, file patents or publish your work.
What we do for you
We offer a challenging and international environment at the forefront of technology, in an international network of renowned industrial customers. This is your opportunity to help bring new technologies to the market that will have an impact on tomorrow's society. You will join a team of disruptive innovators and thinkers that work with both academia and industry to shape the future. You will be in a dynamic environment where you can work together with top-experts in a wide variety of fields and have the opportunity to develop your personal skills.
Imec The Netherlands, as an employer of choice, offers you an attractive compensation and benefits package including a 100% employer-paid pension plan and flexible working hours. Furthermore, imec-NL offers a wide range of training possibilities. For international candidates, we provide support in the relocation process.
Who you are
- BSc, or MSc in photonics, electrical engineering, applied physics or similar fields.
- 3+ years of experience in testing of (heterogenous) photonics systems in an industrial or research environment.
- Experience with setup and management of a new lab environment.
- Good understanding of concepts in optics and electro-magnetism/RF is a must have.
- Experience in using programming languages such as Python/Matlab/C for system-modelling or data analysis.
- Some experience in the design, modelling and characterization of photonic integrated circuits and opto-electronic hardware, such as lasers, photodetectors and modulators is a plus.
- Experience in multi-disciplinary projects including software, hardware and IC design is a plus.
- Able to think ahead and make plans in an organized manner.
- Self-driven and entrepreneurial attitude – you derive energy from taking ownership and can effectively deal with ambiguity.
- Good written and verbal communication skills in English.
Are you interested in this position and do you want to learn more about it, then you can connect to Ana Crehuet, Talent Acquisition Specialist. You can reach Ana at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you wish to apply then please submit your full resume and include a motivational letter.
Click on 'apply' to submit your application. You will then be redirected to e-recruiting.