To lead the innovative research in Photonics for the next generation of Health, Connectivity and Industrial applications
At imec we have a strong experience and background in IC / FPGA design for future IoT, neuromorphic, health and biomedical applications. Our team is specialized in developing ICs for low power radio communication, highly efficient neural networks for wearable design to reliably monitor vital signs such as ECG, Bio-impedance and PPG, making use of our advanced sensor readouts.
Imec has a unique position in the world able to offer leading-edge IC design research with a high affinity to the application domains and we also understand the key role that Photonics plays in many scientific and industrial fields. That's the reason why within our organization in the Netherlands we would like to set up new research tracks that exploit Photonics together with competences such as CMOS design and Neuromorphic design in Health, Connectivity and Industrial (f.i. LIDAR) applications. Together with external partners and internal photonics groups in imec worldwide (Belgium and USA), we aim to extend our research and capabilities in the Silicon and Indium Phosphide photonics area supporting our vision on care where we shift from 'sick' care to 'health' care to 'personal' care, and to be able to do that we are looking for an experienced Photonics Researcher who is eager to lead this innovative research.
What you will do
As an experienced Photonics Researcher, you will be part of a multidisciplinary team to develop novel integrated photonic devices and (heterogeneous) systems supporting our research activities in fields such as Health, Connectivity and Industrial for future IoT, neuromorphic, automotive and biomedical applications. Your main tasks will include:
- Define and lead new photonics research activities for the next generation of Health, Connectivity and Industrial applications.
- Investigate the pros and cons of integrating photonics designs in a system that combines several technologies together such as CMOS and AI.
- Validate new photonics designs in (heterogeneous) systems in a lab environment.
- Understand (internal and external) customer needs, challenges and requirements and translate that into solutions to incorporate into your designs and systems.
- Guide and inspire the teams in imec in the designing of novel silicon photonics devices and photonic integrated circuits.
- Engage industry-wide best practices in your designs to ensure quality.
- Take the lead in writing proposals for public-funded projects.
- Contribute to high-quality reports, publications and documentation and attend conferences.
- Support customers implementing your research work in their applications.
- As soon as Covid-19 allows, travelling to Leuven is expected once a week.
What we do for you
We offer a challenging and international environment at the forefront of technology, in an international network of renowned industrial customers. This is your opportunity to bring new technologies to the market that will have an impact on tomorrow's society.
Imec The Netherlands, as an employer of choice, offers you an attractive compensation and benefits package including a 100% employer-paid pension plan and flexible working hours. Furthermore, imec-NL offers a wide range of training possibilities. For international candidates, we provide support in the relocation process.
By joining imec in Eindhoven, you will be part of a team of disruptive innovators and thinkers. Together, with our Researchers and Engineers, you will work on systems that combine local data with info from the cloud and other sensor networks to create a holistic picture of the world and enable an Intuitive IoT. We drive the Internet of Things by developing innovative solutions for massive, heterogeneous sensor networks to connect billions of devices together. Imec is a reference in the design of ultra-low-power electronics, low-power algorithms to increase intelligence and data security, and in all aspects of data science.
Who you are
- You hold a PhD degree in (applied) physics, optical science, electronics, electrical engineering or similar.
- 5+ years of experience in Silicon or III-V-based photonics technologies and designs.
- Excellent understanding of photonic system architecture where a heterogeneous integration of several technologies is applied is a must.
- Experienced in setting up research projects and roadmaps with internal and external partners.
- Solid knowledge about Silicon and/or Indium Phosphide photonics design, fabrication and characterization is required.
- Knowledge about CMOS design, -both analog and digital-, is appreciated.
- Excellent awareness of the tools that are typically used for photonics IC design.
- You hold a strong publication record and academic track.
- Previous experience and affinity with funded project management and proposal writing is preferred.
- A powerful network in the photonics industry and links to external (research) organizations is appreciated.
- Knowledge of photonics packaging and understanding of the AI concepts is a plus.
- Your communication skills in English (written and spoken) are excellent.
- You have an (applied) research mindset and the desire to stay up to date with recent advancements in state-of-the-art.
- Taking the initiative and responsibility, which means thinking pro-actively, working independently and having a critical and solving problem attitude are attributes that define yourself.
- You are someone who has a broad interest across disciplines and who likes to deliver quality.
Are you interested in this position and do you want to learn more about it, then you can connect to Ana Crehuet, Talent Acquisition Specialist. You can reach Ana at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you wish to apply then please submit your full resume and include a motivational letter.
Click on 'apply' to submit your application. You will then be redirected to e-recruiting.