What you will do
Energy harvesting is a very promising technology for powering devices in remote and inaccessible locations, like implants. Apart chemical energy, which is hard to extract for a long time, the second form of energy widely present inside the body is mechanical. However, till now, only a few preliminary prototypes were implemented, operating in very specific locations. The purpose of this thesis is to study literature and make some experiments to estimate the energy available in various parts of the human body. Next, using that information, design an IC low-power enough to extract energy in almost every location inside the body. The project will conclude with layout, post-layout simulations and proper documentation.
The project duration is of 8 - 12 months. This project can result, depending on maturity and performance, of the design in a tape-out of the designed circuits; part of the work will be spent in carrying out testing and characterization of the system. We target to publish the outcome of the project in high impact conference or journal.
- Literature study on mechanical harvesting in-body.
- Basic experiments to find out power in different location.
- IC design and verification of a generic interfacing circuit.
- Layout, post-layout simulations.
- Design report of the designed circuits.
What we do for you
As the world-best research institute, we are the center of the excellence in nano-electronics design for Internet of Things and Healthcare applications. In this internship project, you will be working on the cutting-edge research project, under the supervision of the world-renown researchers from diverse background.
Who you are
- Electrical Engineering Background with good analytical skills.
- Knowledge of analog design circuits using CMOS transistors.
- Experience in PCB design and microcontroller programming is a plus.
- Structured way of reporting, both orally and written.
- Motivated student eager to work independently and expand knowledge in the field.
- Good written and verbal English skills.
Click on 'apply' to submit your application. You will then be redirected to e-recruiting.
Please be advised that non-EU/EEA country students that are studying outside of the Netherlands, need to have a work-permit to be able to do an internship in the Netherlands.