Respiratory status is an important indicator of the health of a person. Respiration monitoring is of importance in monitoring several clinical conditions like COPD and asthma. The goal of this project is to work towards reliable respiration monitoring for Imec's wearable platform.
Respiration results from muscle activity that induces negative intrathoracic pressure and expansion of the thoracic and abdominal cavities. For that reason respiration may be recorded from mechanical, electrical and electromechanical signals. Here, we aim to develop a non-invasive, low-power, small, and wearable method to be integrated into Imec wearable cardiorespiratory platform.
To be able to develop such a measurement method, we envision the following steps: an extensive literature survey to gain thorough understanding of respiration, and measurement techniques. Data collected with our measurement devices should be analyzed using signal processing techniques. Depending on the results a paper should be written. The student would be supported by hardware, software, biomedical and respiration experts.
- Literature review
- Experimental design
- Data analysis/signal processing using matlab
- To give a final presentation and write a report based on the results
- Basic experience in Matlab or python
- Interest in human physiology
- Knowledge of experimental data collection and analysis
- Motivated student eager to work independently and expand knowledge in the field
- Good written and verbal English skills
For all inquiries, please contact:
Ms Najat Loiazizi, HR specialist.
Telephone number: +31 (0)40 40 20 675