Nowadays, smart homes and offices are equipped with a wide range of smart sensors, smart-lights and smart-equipment that either use IEEE802.15.4 or BLE radio to exchange information with one another or with the cloud. In many use-cases and in more dense deployment scenarios, multiple devices are co-located in the same room, making it difficult to locate a specific device in that room or even in the building as a whole.
During commissioning and maintenance activities, the commission agent would hence greatly benefit from the ability to see the location of these devices on his smart tablet or hand-held. For example, upon entering a room with 10 smart lights, it would be helpful to know the precise position of those 10 lights in relation to his current location. In such a scenario, the ranging and localization solution should be low-power, accurate, scalable and real-time.
- Literature survey on ranging and localization solutions.
- Initial study on current ranging solution designed at imec - Holst Centre.
- Initial study on current narrow-band wireless technologies (e.g., BLE or 802.15.4).
- Design a low-power, accurate, scalable and real-time ranging/localization protocol for large-scale network.
- Implementation and evaluation of the proposed ranging solution in HW.
- Thesis writing and documentation at imec-Holst Centre.
- You are a MSc student in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science.
- You are available for a period of 6-8 months.
- Affinity with a hands-on approach.
- Prior experience to work with Bluetooth, Zigbee or WiFi hardware.
- Prior experience with wireless communication and network.
- Prior experience with embedded programming (C/C++) and Python.
- Entitled to do an internship in the Netherlands, Eindhoven.
- Motivated student eager to work independently and expand knowledge in the field.
- Good written and verbal English skills.
For all inquiries, please contact:
Click on ‘apply’ to submit your application. You will then be redirected to e-recruiting.
Please be advised that non-EU/EEA country students that are studying outside of the Netherlands, need to have a work-permit to be able to do an internship in the Netherlands.
Please note that in order to be considered for an internship you need to be registered as a student during the entire internship period. Formal documentation of which may be requested at any time.
Ms Najat Loiazizi, HR specialist.
Telephone number: +31 (0)40 40 20 675