Student project: Gas Sensor Research
At imec we perform research on a new type on gas sensors based on ionic liquids, low melting organic salts. This novel technology results in small form factor and low power sensors, this enables the application for sensor networks for the Internet of Things. (IoT). Several aspects such as sensor design, simulation, sensor preparation, measurement and data analytics are needed in this project to improve characteristics such as (cross-)sensitivity or response time. Data will be obtained under controlled environments in a gas lab and by real life conditions inside our building using both the new sensors and commercially available devices. Goal of the assignment is to improve and optimize the sensor performance.
Your tasks will include:
- Contribute to the technology research of the design and functionality of ion liquids based sensors.
- Preparation of ionic liquid based sensors in a chemical lab.
- Measurement of gas response with impedimetric or amperometric measurement techniques using a gas mixing setup.
- Perform measurements in a real-life test environment.
- Interpretation of measured data leading to an advice for further improvement on design and manufacturing process for an optimized sensor performance.
- Documentation of measurement techniques and obtained data.
- Presentation of results.
- Msc/Bsc student in chemistry, chemical engineering, physics or similar.
- You are available for a period of 6 months.
- General knowledge of impedance or other electrochemical measurements.
- Experience with MATLAB or Python for data analysis is a plus.
- Experience with working in a chemical lab is a plus.
- Entitled to do an internship in the Netherlands (e.g. you hold a Dutch student visa).
- Motivated student eager to work independently and expand knowledge in the field.
- Good written and verbal English skills.
For all inquiries, please contact:
Click on ‘apply’ to submit your application. You will then be redirected to e-recruiting.
Please be advised that non-EU/EEA country students that are studying outside of the Netherlands, need to have a work-permit to be able to do an internship in the Netherlands.
Ms Najat Loiazizi, HR specialist.
Telephone number: +31 (0)40 40 20 675