The human body contains for a large part of water. Body water disorders like chronic kidney disease, congestive heart failure and edema are severe diseases. For Example end stage kidney disease requires dialysis treatment for which the patients need to visit the hospital 3 times per week. Being able to extract the correct amount of fluid during dialysis will improve the quality of life of the patients and reduce side effects. Congestive heart failure patients can buildup fluid in the lungs. Being able to detect this fluid buildup early can prevent hospitalizations.
Thus being able to monitor body water and changes in body water content can steer treatment of these diseases. Local bioimpedance measurements can potentially be used to non-invasively and unobtrusively monitor body water content. Data has been collected in both healthy and diseased populations. The goal of this project would be to develop a reliable model for body water content estimation based on local bioimpedance measurements. Additionally, this project aims to give insight in the disease status (possibly also combining bioimpedance with additional sensor information). To reach these a model should be built and validated.
- Literature review.
- Data analysis.
- Data preprocessing.
- Model building.
- Reporting and presenting.
- Msc student in (Bio)medical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or Technical Medicine.
- You are available for a period of 6-12 months.
- Affinity with physiology.
- Knowledge of data analytics and processing.
- Knowledge of matlab, python or R.
- Entitled to do an internship in the Netherlands (e.g. you hold a Dutch student visa).
- Motivated student eager to work independently and expand knowledge in the field.
- Good written and verbal English skills.
For all inquiries, please contact:
Click on ‘apply’ to submit your application. You will then be redirected to e-recruiting.
Please be advised that non-EU/EEA country students that are studying outside of the Netherlands, need to have a work-permit to be able to do an internship in the Netherlands.
Ms Najat Loiazizi, HR specialist.
Telephone number: +31 (0)40 40 20 675